The first-ever Downtown Missoula Master Plan was created in 2007-2008 through a community-wide visioning process. The purpose of the plan was to build a comprehensive, balance-centered strategy to strengthen and expand Downtown Missoula’s role as the economic and cultural heart of the city. The 2009 Master Plan set forth a vision for land use and circulation, employment, housing, parking, retail, tourism and infrastructure.
It’s now time to update the Downtown Missoula Master Plan. The Master Plan Update will serve to guide decisions over the next 25 years impacting the city’s historic downtown and adjoining neighborhoods. An updated strategy, built by the community, will provide the pathway for Missoula to maintain a vibrant Downtown to serve our community and our region.
The critical study areas include: (1) Land Uses, (2) Infrastructure, (3) Downtown Housing, (4) Parking, (5) Street Design Standards, and (6) Retail and Commercial Business Development.
2018-19 Master Plan Funders
One of the most successful components of the Downtown Missoula Master Plan is community engagement and support. When the original plan was created in 2008, close to 75 businesses and organizations funded the plan and nearly 3,000 individuals participated in the planning process.
Ten years later, nearly 60 businesses, organizations and individuals are supporting the update with a financial contribution. When you have “skin in the game”, you are more vested in the success of the plan/project. On behalf of the community and the Downtown Missoula Partnership, we are grateful for the financial support from these entities:
- Missoula Parking Commission
- Missoula Redevelopment Agency
- City of Missoula
- Downtown Business Improvement District
- Missoula Downtown Association
- Destination Missoula & Tourism BID
- Farran Realty Partners
- First Interstate Bank
- First Security Bank
- Providence St. Patrick Hospital
- Advanced Technology Group
- Anderson Construction
- Checota Foundation
- Community Medical Center
- Holiday Inn Missoula Downtown
- HomeBase Montana: Missoula Mercantile
- Jackson Contractor Group
- Missoula County
- Missoula Economic Partnership
- Mountain Line
- University of Montana
- Washington Development
- A&E Architects
- Boone Karlberg
- Garlington, Lohn & Robinson
- Missoula Federal Credit Union
- Old Sawmill District
- Partners, Inc.
- PayneWest Financial Group
- Terry Payne
- Stockman Bank
- S. Bank
- WGM Group
- Wipfli, LLC
- Morrison Maierle
- Caras Real Estate & Access Property Management
- EcoGeek & VidCon
- Colin & Lexi Hickey
- Southgate Mall
- Missoula Housing Authority
- Pattee Street, LLC
- Tom & Mary Lou Stergios
- Urban Renewal Associates
- Betty’s Divine
- Big Dipper Ice Cream
- Black Coffee
- Boyher, Erickson, Beaudette & Tranel
- Boyle, Deveny & Meyer
- Gatewest Property Management & Parkside Apts.
- Kembel, Kosena & Co.MacArthur, Means & Wells
- MIF Partnership
- Missoula Building Industry Association
- Missoula Osprey Baseball
- Rocky Mountain Development Group
- Williams Law Firm, P.C.
If you are interested in supporting the Downtown Master Plan Update, please contact Executive Director Linda McCarthy via phone (406-543-4238) or email ([email protected]). Please send a check, payable to the Missoula Downtown Foundation, to 218 East Main, Missoula, MT 59802. Contributions to the MDF will be tax deductible.