An active and vibrant Downtown needs common-area services above and beyond that which is available through general municipal services. The Downtown Missoula Partnership provides maintenance services that help ensure Missoula’s city center is clean and safe. The Downtown Maintenance crew is responsible for:
- Providing service seven days a week
- Removal of garbage and recycling from more than 80 cans throughout the district
- Provide snow removal services in the alleys to ensure the delivery of goods throughout the year
- Remove snow from the cycle tracks on North Higgins to keep them open year-round
- Provide contracted snow removal services for privately-owned parking lots in Downtown
- Provide contracted hot water power-washing services for sidewalks and buildings April-Oct
- Provide contracted graffiti removal services April-Oct
- Help maintain Downtown Missoula’s street décor
For more information or to schedule an estimate for services, contact Maintenance Manager Daniel Tulk via phone (406-370-7540).
Downtown Clean Team
The Downtown Clean Team was the first program created to help clean up Missoula’s city center in 2006. Funded by the Downtown property owners, the Clean Team is a contracted service provided by Opportunity Resources, Inc. The Clean Team is comprised of five adults with developmental disabilities plus a supervisor, and they pick up garbage, pull weeds, and maintain tree wells and grates throughout Downtown. In the wintertime they chip ice and snow off the ADA ramps and street drains to improve navigation for pedestrians and reduce snow, ice and water buildup that can happen when the street drains are blocked. The Clean Team works Downtown 25 hours a week, and three Clean Team members have served on the crew for more than 10 years: Andy Bender, Mel Cummings, and Stevie Adams.
- Weeded nearly 400 tree wells
- Swept and weeded more than 300 alleys
- Chipped snow and ice off of nearly 600 street corners
- Picked up and removed nearly 55 yards of garbage from sidewalks, gutters and alleys
- Inspected and cleaned more than 5,000 light poles
The Clean Team is one of Missoula’s most appreciated programs because it employs young men with developmental disabilities in a space where the public can truly appreciate their contributions. For more information on the Downtown Clean Team, contact Linda McCarthy via phone (406-543-4238) or email ([email protected]).