The Downtown Missoula Partnership, with financial support from the Downtown Business Improvement District (BID) and the Missoula Redevelopment Agency (MRA), collected data and completed an analysis of Downtown Missoula business and building inventory. Having a complete inventory of downtown property was one of many goals of the 2009 Downtown Master Plan. The project was completed in 2011.
Why Inventory Downtown?
The data was used to better understand Downtown assets and weaknesses; identify potential locations for technical assistance; measure community achievements of recruitment and retention goals; support Master Plan projects such as Front and Main reconfiguration, development of a Retail Hot Spot and Cultural District, development of a comprehensive wayfinding system for Downtown; and market, retain, recruit, and track development trends within the downtown commercial area.
The data collected in 2011 was populated from existing publicly accessible information sources and in-person surveys and interviews with building and business owners. These resources included data within the Downtown Master Plan, membership data from the Missoula Downtown Association, property data from the Business Improvement District, Missoula County tax records, additional field reviews, and Internet research.
Geographic area inventoried
- Business: 84 square-block area
- Buildings: 56 square-block area
Out of 766 commercial establishments inventoried:
- 398 consumer service businesses
- 129 retail establishments
- 66 law offices
- 38 full-service restaurants
- 10 coffee shops
- 9 outdoor apparel/sporting goods stores
Of total 2,394,321 square feet inventoried
- Retail trade and food & beverage establishments account for close to 400,000 square feet of the total square footage
- Governmental services account for 325,854 square feet
Hours of Operation
- 25% of retail businesses and 80% of restaurants are open after 7 pm, Monday through Friday
- 65% of retail businesses and restaurants are open on Sundays
Maps & Sample Reports
Click here for Study Area Map
Click here for the Business Category Statistics Report