The Missoula Downtown Foundation (MDF), along with the Downtown Business Improvement District (BID) created the Play It Missoula! Piano Project in 2014 when two donated pianos were painted by local artists and placed on the public sidewalks of downtown Missoula. In the spring of 2015, four newly-donated pianos were painted by local artists in galleries and coffee shops and placed in downtown’s public right of ways. A total of five pianos brought music and conversation to the streets of downtown in 2016 and 2017.
UPDATE: Winter 2017-2018
Two of the pianos are inside this winter and can be played during regular hours at the following locations:
- University Center Lobby @ the University of Montana, 32 Campus Drive in Missoula (https://www.umt.edu/uc/)
- E3 Convergence Gallery, 229 W. Main, Downtown Missoula (http://www.e3gallerymissoula.com/)
Goals & Benefits
There are three primary goals of the Play It Missoula! Piano Project:
- To encourage all community members and visitors to play the pianos and to listen to spontaneous music on the streets;
- To provide live music performances in the public realm
- To showcase Missoula’s talented artists and musicians in a public space
The benefits of public art are many. It discourages crime and violence, promotes community-building and reduces stress, helps businesses thrive and increases property values. It also has a unique place in the art world because it helps create attachment to the community, it is free and it is open to all.
Support The Project
Currently funded entirely through operating revenues, the Missoula Downtown Foundation is seeking sponsors for the 2018 Play It Missoula! Piano Project. Contributions to this project can be made through the Missoula Downtown Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, 218 E. Main #C, Missoula, MT 59802. For more information, call Director of Giving, Karen Snow at 406.543.4238.Donate